Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Walker Texas Ranger

So it’s been a while since I’ve written any race summaries or news about rides but since my last post I started a new job and haven’t had much time to update anything.   So here’s a brief summary of the last 6 months:  I finished out the road season as a Cat 3 in July, took 6 weeks off from riding in August/ September due to work; catted up to the 2’s in CX and got my tail handed to me repeated by the same guys as last year plus some even faster ones; built up 2 bikes- a sscx and a 29er ss; came to Texas at Thanksgiving for work and have done 5 cx races while here, got picked up by MG&G Racing for MTB and CX for 2013 and Fairhope Cycling Project for Road.  Really looking forward to racing as much as possible this year and even more with a great group of people.  Fairhope Cycling Project is based out of Fairhope, AL and is a 2/3 road team headed up by several Fairhope guys in collaboration with Pro Cycle and Tri .  MG&G is a new team on the scene this year and has a well-rounded roster of guys and girls with a variety of experiences and cycling history, and some of the best food you’ll find at any of the Bamacross races.  So that takes care of the last 6 months and now here I am today, a new year and why not a write up about a new bike and new trail, seem appropriate right?

 
So this morning I woke 30 minutes prior to my alarm clock with that excitement I haven’t had in over 2 months, that “I get to go ride my mountain bike today” realization as soon as I started to wake up.  No work today for this guy, 70hr weeks can’t hold me down but I was fortunate enough to have today off and rain or shine I was going to get a ride in. 

 
Well the weather was meh, cold.  Mid 30’s and misty but hey that’s what embro is for.  I recently bought and built/ in the process of building up a Niner One9 single speed and am rocking it rigid.  Oh yeah, fully rigid, (inside joke if you’re a mtbr forums guy).

 
I traveled to Glen Rose, TX and rode the Solavaca Trail, www.solavaca.com, follow the link to find out about all you want to know on it.  It is an 8+ mile loop of smooth single track with tons of limestone mixed in.  Most of the climbs were small kickers with rocky ledges and loose limestone deposits that made it more difficult than it should have been, I’ll admit I stumbled a couple times and lost my traction and had to walk a hill or two but no defeat here.  Today was about enjoying a new part of the country and riding somewhere unknown.  Overall the trail was in great shape and is worth the trip if you ever are in the DFW area.  Here is a link to my strava from today.  Also here are some pictures from today’s ride. 
 
 
Here is some limestone covered single track lined with Cati
 
 
I think this is called a prairie?  That's Texan for big field

Top of a wicked climb but worth it for the view 
As for my new steed, uh um…. May I present, Walker Texas Ranger (WTR)


 
I found this ride and have been teetering on the 29er verse 650b for a while but in the end decided on bigger is better, I mean hey, I’m in Texas after all.  I was not disappointed with it at all.  I’ve order some parts to make it fit better and ride nicer but as it sits she’s got Chris King SS hub laced to Stans 355’s, BB7 brakes, stylo crankset, Niner rigid fork, and ebb bottom bracket.  Overall I think it’s at about 19+lbs as it sits but with better cranks/ brakes/ pedals/ stem/ bar I should have it down around 18 once it’s all said and done.

 
Ride quality was phenomenal, I was worried about the slow flickability of the big wheels but with the rigid front end, this thing corners on rails with no side flex or wondering.  Steering compliance is very stiff and sensitive so laying the bike over in turns at speed is a dream.  Once I got the tire psi dialed in at 20-21ish they gripped great and I had no issues with sliding out or drifting.  I’m running the Geax Saguaro 2.2’s f/r.  Great tire as I’d put it against the Racing Ralph any day of the week for cornering, but not as fast on the flats as it’s slightly more tread and bulkier but I’m willing to sacrifice it for the added cushion effect.

 
I can’t wait to get this thing home and hit up OMSP for a loop to see how it compares to my old WUSS but I can tell you today I did 2 ½hrs on it without any back, neck, or arm pain and I haven’t been on a mtb in over 2 months.  Did not expect that kind of result on a rigid bike for the first time but I would say given the trail today, 2 ½hrs on my WUSS and I would have started feeling it towards the end. 

 
Overall I love this bike and the rigid setup.  It’s fast, stiff in the right areas but still comfortable enough for a long ride, light, and best of all mine.  I’m hoping to do a 4hr endurance race this Saturday in Tyler, TX so I’ll see how I feel after that but once my new cockpit arrives Thursday and I get the fit correct, I doubt I’ll have any issues with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment