Monday, July 16, 2012

Huntsville Criterium Races- Road Race

July 14th, 2012
Huntsville, AL

So yeah it’s been a while since I’ve raced and haven’t really updated my blog since Bump N’ Grind this year but over the last month I have taken some time to rest and recover and work on getting some base miles back in my legs.  I did go over to South Carolina for their State Championship Road Race last month and despite having my first road crash ever in a race I was able to pull out a 2nd place with a hell of a sprint finish jumping from 25+ places back to the front over about 250m.  Here is a link to my Strava from the race.

South Carolina State Road Race Championship

This last weekend I went to Huntsville to do the Huntsville Criterium Races and raced the Cat 4 road race on Saturday.  It was a 4 lap, 40 mile race over really flat terrain with rough roads and a little bit of wind.  To say it was hot was only a minor understatement.  We went off at 8am and over the next 100 minutes I went through 3 bottles of water and still ran out, so yeah, it was hot. 

For this race ST3 wanted to work to get John Soto and David Gotlieb on the podium so they were the protected riders on the day, there job was to sit in a look pretty, well sit in at least.  Alan and I were to work and dicate the pace while not letting anything go.  With a handful of strong riders lining up for this race we both knew that it was going to be a busy day to keep anything from going off the front but we felt up to it. 

The first lap came in fast with a 24+ avg mph with Alan and myself doing a lot of work up front to keep it high and dissuade anyone from trying to attack early.  After mid 2nd lap things began to slow a bit and the attacks started coming.  Alan would work to control the front and I would jump at anything that moved, we had a good system and John and David were able to sit in the pack and keep sharp for the finish.  Laps 2 and 3 were attack to slow slow pace, to attack to slow again.  Very frustrating so on the start of the 3rd lap I got a gap and a rider bridged to me, I looked back to see we had 150m on the field and they weren’t chasing so I said “you wanna do this?” and dude just smiled so I hit it, 30mph head down and legs pumping at 100 rpms.  I pulled through to let him go and just then the field came up on us, WTF!  I was a little upset but whatever, after that it got a little lively and more people started attacking and finally people were starting to hurt a little. 

With about 6 miles to go the pace slowed to sub 20 and everyone was saving their legs for the sprint which was a long 1 mile open road with a head wind and slight uphill finish 200m past the bottom of a slight downhill.  Mark Fisher decided to go with about 2.5 miles out so David chased his wheel and I went on David’s wheel.  Awesome, Fisher is strong enough to pull us to the finish and with 2 of us there it’s a no brainer, well….no.  I fell asleep at the wheel and forgot I was racing.  Fisher kept the pace high 25-30 for the last 2 miles with Jamie to his side at the 300m line Jamie jumped to go, for whatever reason I didn’t and Fisher sat up as the field came by, I scrambled to get off David’s wheel and around him and was able to launch my sprint but never even got up to speed for it, man was I pissed off.  Yes I yelled profanity and apologized to everyone but I mean really, I’ve never blanked like that before so maybe it was just a fluke but for whatever reason it happened and I’m not proud of it. 

Still wound up 10th place and felt good about my chances for the following days crit.  Didn’t really feel like doing the time trial so I skipped that Saturday afternoon and drank beer in the parking lot with Mike but we had some good results from the ST3 guys and everyone raced hard.

Here is a link to my Strava of the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment