Monday, April 23, 2012

Sunny King Crit- Anniston, AL


April 21, 2012

Saturday I raced in my 3rd crit at the Sunny King Crit in Anniston, AL.  This race is one of the best in the state and was a preseason must do on my list of races for this year so needless to say I was a little excited about racing.  This race attracts domestic Pro teams for the night race and is a first class venue being it is part of the NCC.  Not to mention they were televising all the races via velonews website.  Race time for the Cat 4’s was 2:05 and the weather was slightly windy and high 60’s. 

ST3 Cycling had a good turn out with Alan showing up early to get us a spot between turn 1 and 2.  Mike and Alan both raced in the Master’s race, James lined up for the 5’s, and myself, Alan, Reuben, and John all lined up for the 4’s with this being John’s first race after getting his upgrade last week.  Now for the good stuff.

I rolled up to the starting line and got a really bad position, all the way at the back of a 60+ deep field.  Luckily the course was wide and fast so I was able to attack from the line and get to the front 15 by turn 2 on the first lap.  From the start it was all out, my average speed for the race was right at 25 mph, almost 2 mph faster than my other two crits this year so far.  This was a fast course, 4 left turns one block wide and 3 blocks long with the back side a slight downhill and the finishing side a slight uphill. 

One rider from Absolute Racing went off the front several laps in and then one rider chased, they were able to hold off the chase for the rest of the race and kept the pace hard.  This lead to a frustrating race for me as Absolute did a good job controlling the front of the chase, not letting anything go too far and chasing every attack down.  I knew I didn’t have the legs to bridge to the leaders so I settled down in the top 5 and maintained a good pace and staying out of trouble.  Luckily there were no wrecks in our race but the fast speed and tight corners caused for a good amount of wheel and elbow rubbing.  I began my attacks with 18 minutes left, going off the front for ¾ of a lap and trying to get something going but no one was biting.  Went again with 8 minutes left and went hard this time.  I hammered down the back stretch and hard into turn 3, carried my speed through turn 4 and then let the group pull though at the finish line, this time the tempo stayed up for several laps but anticipating a sprint finish everyone settled down with 4 to go.  I knew I was feeling strong but knew I didn’t have the top end to contest a 200m uphill sprint so I attacked with 3 to go.  This time I wasn’t bluffing.  As I rolled through the finish line and heard “3 to go” I got out of the pace line and moved to the outside and stood to go.  Hit turn 1 wide and carried as much speed as possible and had the lead into turn 2, I got a gap and didn’t let up down the back stretch and railed turn 3 and 4 and then got caught leading up to the finish line, “2 to go.” Well I was feeling it bad in the legs and only had one or two matches left to burn so I let others pull through, and one attack later then the field set up, conservatively resting for the final ½ lap.  We get around and hear “1 to go 1 to go 1 to go” now the pho attacks come with everyone wanting to be upfront but not in the wind, I managed to hold my line in the pack top 5 down the stretch and into turn 3, lost a spot at turn 4 and then lost 5 more spots up the final straight away to the finish.  I finished strong but the legs just didn’t go when I asked them to one more time. 

Overall I finished 12th and was happy on my race day.  The team showed great support and all raced smart and safe.  

Here is my strava from the race and some pictures of the race.

 Photos courtesy of Carol Roark York
  Photos courtesy of Carol Roark York
  Photos courtesy of Billy Ritch

No comments:

Post a Comment