Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Bamacross #8

So Sunday was the last cx race at Brookside, AL for the year and I can say it was a lot of fun racing there this year.  The park provided a great layout for multiple race courses and the Bamacross crew always seemed to add something new that made each race better than the last.  I am still recovering from Sunday where I raced both the single speed and 3's but should be up this afternoon for a nice recovery ride.   

Let's see, I can't really explain the course other than it was really muddy, with some fast hard packed flats, a lot of run-ups, more mud, barriers, a mud bog, and a barrage of hecklers.  After putting up a top 5 in the single speed race with 5 laps over 50 minutes, I washed off my bike, relubed as much as I could and got everything back working again then lined up for the 3's race.  I've never hurt so bad in a race as I did in the second race.  It was miserable.  My body started to give up around 35 minutes in and it was all I could do to finish this race.  

The start was a good one as I took about 12th wheel into the hole shot and settled into a good pace.  The lead group was taking a good pace with the group of about 15 or so for the first half lap.  I made a couple passes and worked up to 6th but only to give a couple of those spots back over the 2nd and 3rd lap.  From the 3rd lap until the finish I didn't make any passes or get passed, although I constantly had two guys behind me stalking me the whole time.  

They would get within 40 or so yards of me and I would attack, opening a gap and then on the next lap they would be right back there, 40 yards back.  It was miserable but I didn't want to get caught by anyone, especially on the last lap.  So the bell lap came and I attacked, at this point debating on puking or not because it was all I could do to push and everything hurt.  I attacked on the pavement, getting into my big ring for about 200 yards, made it through the sand pit and 4 run ups safely without making any mistakes, then attacked on the back flats and climb.  I came around for the last run up and saw the two chasers were no where to be seen  and at this point was about 2 minutes from the finish so I started to let up and take a breath.  Made it thought the barriers for the last time without making a mistake or falling in the mud, and rode the last 400 yards in at an easy pace as I wasn't challenged for a spot by anyone.  

Ended up 5th in the ss race and 9th in the 3's, last 3 races have been 9th places so maybe that's a sign?  I've never collapsed after a race but for this one all I wanted to do was go lay down somewhere and that was exactly what I did about 100 yards past the finish line.  Laid on my back just trying to regain my sanity for several minutes then it finally hit me that it was all over.  Great course and had a ton of fun racing it.  Next cross race isn't until mid January so it's likely I'll clean the cx bike and put it up for a couple weeks to get in some base on my road bike.  Maybe break it out for some LSD rides and start getting ready for Southern Cross.




Photos courtesy of Carol Roark York

No comments:

Post a Comment